REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not? (Alcohol problem)

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:17:11 CST 2008

I built my strakes before Jeffco became the fashion.  They were sealed with four coats of EZpoxy and don't leak.  I'm sure that Jeffco is the way to go but I wished to reassure those of you that have non Jeffco tanks that alcohol is probably not going to be a problem.  When Jeffco was recommended as a tank sealer, I ran an experiment to see what alcohol would do to EZpoxy.  I used some scrap lay-up and an olive jar half full of denatured alcohol (mixture of ethanol, methanol and acetone).  I cut the scrap in half and put one piece in the jar and kept the other as a control.  The sample in the jar was half submerged with the upper half exposed to vapor.  The jar was capped and left undisturbed for 60 days.  The alcohol was still clear and free of coloration.  When the sample was removed I could find no difference between it and the control.  There was no sign of gumminess or softening.  I flexed both samples till fracture and found no loss of strength.  Long term exposure (years) could produce different results.

Larry Coen
N136LC

P.S.: Mogas has ethanol added, not methanol.