REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not?

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 15:40:30 CST 2008

Hee hee Grigore,

Flanging the baffles ... is it absolutely necessary?

NOPE!  Not close to necessary.  It's not even in the manual.

Many builders have successfully made their strakes without flanging the
baffles.

The factory does not flange their baffles.  They use the procedure in the
manual and I'll bet they get a prefect seal every time.  That being said,
they have done more than one set of strakes.  Heck, Scott Swing might have
done over 100 of these.  My set might very well be the only set I'll ever
do.

Like most builders (I might be making a bad assumption here), I have done
quite a bit of reading.  The reflector and builder sites have been gold
mines.  My issue wasn't as much that I wanted the strakes to seal as much as
I REALLY didn't want to have a leak.  Ha!  (I hope I didn't twist your head
too much there)

There are some on the list that have had to fight the leaky strake demon.
Diagnosis of the problem can be a major task.  Pressurize the tanks, cover
with soapy water, lift the wing while under pressure to see if it is
affected by load...  Ugh.

The fix can be as simple as a vacuum and some wet epoxy.  On the other hand,
Velocity had a case where the bottom skin of the strake AND the foam had to
be removed to fix it.  I know this is an extreme case, but it's there.

Again I'm showing my builder age. <blush>  I had spoken with Brendan about
the strakes.  He said it is our natural inclination to save weight on the
plane; make things light.  This is good.  However, on the strakes, don't
worry about it.  He guaranteed me that I would be so much happier if my
plane was 10 1b. heavier and the strakes were sealed than if I tried to save
the 10 lbs and wound up chasing a leak.

>> I'd prefer to go with the standard approach to save time, hoping that my
tanks will not leak

I didn't want to take the chance.  I wanted all the insurance I could get.
The flanges provided more contact area and I liked it.  I got a good seal on
my strakes so I'm happy with what I did.

In the end you will have to do what your heart and head tell you.

Andy