REFLECTOR: Main Gear Alignment

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jan 27 20:04:25 CST 2008

Kurt;

My take on this is that you'd like to have the wheels normally going
straight ahead.  It's not like the front wheels on your car where a bit of
toe-in improves stability.  Having said that - in our case the toe-in
increases with increased deflection of the gear leg.  So we set significant
toe-in with the plane unloaded so it ends up with less toe-in when loaded.
If your going to adjust it later, I'd set them very close to straight ahead
at something close to gross weight - that way they will be always be
straight, or with some toe-in.

I set mine (RG) per the manual when the gear was installed, before even the
top was on.  I haven't checked it again, but I know I have some toe-in under
normal loading because when I back it in the hangar the gear ends up spread
a bit more than when it has been going forward.

This of course is only my opinion, and should not be taken over any advice
from the factory, or what is in the manual.

Best,

Al