REFLECTOR: epoxy cure time and temperature

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Jan 24 20:58:47 CST 2008

Hi Grigore,

all epoxies will slow down in cure with depressed temperature- the aerospace
industry uses "prepreg" material, which is pre- saturated cloth that has to
be kept refrigerated to prevent the epoxy from curing- it can be kept this
way for months and still used- after molding, it is heated in an autoclave
oven to effect cure of the resins- our epoxy dues much of the same- if you
mix it, then wet the glass, then refrigerate it- you are in effect creating
prepreg material- it will begin to cure when the temperature goes back in
range- we found no loss of strength in carbon prepeg material due to reduced
cure temp, only extended cure time- although material that had become
"stale" in the refrigerator, did not bond as well to the other layers in the
layups.  I  can't remember exact times- but on my Velocity- the work that I
did during the cold weather would take days to get hard- probably didn't
cure fully until they got some good heat on them weeks later- the cross
polymerization rate drops as less un-cured material is available to react
with the catalizers, kind of like concrete, it can still cure for some time
after it looks done- for example, you can re- heat some of the parts with a
heat gun a week or so after cure (normal temps) and you can still get some
give out of the parts, but after a few months, the material will just start
to de-compose with the heat application.  Basically, the lay-up will cure
when it is warm enough to cure, and sleep when it is too cold to cure- when
it warms back up- it will start to cure again-  probably good to limit the
heat and cold cycles as it might tend to form microscopic stress layers in
the resin matrix, but I would not think it would significantly affect the
strength since the aircraft is pretty well over designed. I have no data on
the temperature cure schedules for the Velocity epoxies, the factory might
have access to this information.

Alex

  _____