REFLECTOR: Shipping a Prop

Travis Holland htcruiser at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 15:26:14 CST 2008

Robert;  I use the Greyhound bus system to ship a three blade prop around when we need to from Velocity.  It's about as fast as UPS and a whole lot cheaper.  I just wrap the blades in cardboard and take it to the bus station and when it arrives the person will have to go to the bus station to pick it up, but it works good...Travis

        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                How are you guys shipping your 3 blade fixed props? I’m running into rejections from USPS, UPS, and FEDEX for being oversize.

  I did ship my prop back to Catto Props in March 2007 via USPS for $48. And it came back to me from Catto in April, again via USPS for $49.
  But now the Post Office has a new parcel rating system since May 2007, and it is rejecting the prop as oversize.
  I talked to the post office that Craig Catto is using to ship his props out. They are measuring the props in a non-standard way to get them through the system.
  My post office manager got audited for something similar and got his hand slapped, so he will not be flexible.

  UPS says they can’t ship the prop because it is considered freight because of its size. They do have a freight company that quoted $503 to ship the prop.

  FEDEX has similar oversize issues.

  Craig Catto says he is getting props returned via UPS and FEDEX. So how are you guys pulling it off?????

  Thanks for any leads you may have.

  Bob Trent
  Midland, Michigan
  66 x 74  3 blade Catto prop