REFLECTOR: Shipping a Prop

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed Jan 23 15:13:22 CST 2008

Bob,

Shipping in general, and props specifically, is an art, at least shipping them economically is.  If you can't get them on USPS or FedEx and you have to go common carrier (Yellow, FedEx Freight or any of the other of hundreds) then the key is picking a favorable freight classification and description (from the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) catalog, which is about 3" thick).  For a wooden prop, I would suggest:

Freight Classification 198370 Wooden Blanks, Class 70.  The freight cost will be the formula "weight x distance x class"

DO NOT, unless you like paying big freight bills, describe the package as an airplane propeller with hub.  Then this will apply:

Freight Classification 12300 Propeller Hub in boxes or crates, Class 250.  Your shipping formula will still be "weight x distance x class", but the multiplier will be 250 instead of 70, so you'll be paying 3.6 times as much (250/70=3.57).

If your conscience bothers you (and it should not), you could use a more precise description:

Freight Classification 12280 Propeller blades in a box, Class 85.  This description will cover wooden, metal or composite blades.  However, they may ask if they are mounted on a hub.  If they are (and Cattos are), then you jump back up to Class 250.

Stop by whichever freight company you intend to use to pick up some Bill of Ladings.  You fill out the BOL with Freight Classification Fescription and Class Number and attach it to the box.  If you leave it blank, they will fill it in for you....and it will not be to your advantage.  Then use a pickup or trailer to drop the box off at the terminal.  If they have to come to you, it'll cost more and more questions. There is a premium surcharge for pickup or delivery to a non-business address.

Chuck Jensen

P.S. If they ask who told you to "work the system this way", its okay if you can't remember my name.  :-)

[Chuck Jensen]  -----Original Message-----