REFLECTOR: sanity check: horizontality

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:39:30 CST 2008

Thank you for your answers, I feel better now.  If I remember correctly from
the head-start program, I was told (by Scott Swing, probably) that the most
important thing to make sure of is that the canard and the wings have the
right incidence angles relatively to each other; in other words, pick a
horizontal line and stick to it when measuring the incidence angles (using
the incidence boards).  I guess this should be about right, though one
cannot push it too much, because one needs to make sure that the strakes get
their righ incidence ange, too.

I wish there were some straightforward way described in the manual on how to
perfectly level the airplane for-to-aft.  Following Andy Millin's advice, I
ended up using the firewall as a vertical reference to level the airplane
for-to-aft.  Unfortunately, my firewall had a variation of 0.3 degrees at
various places, so I ended up picking one spot on it were I hot-glued a
level.

Grigore