REFLECTOR: Experiance required to fly a Velocity

Jim Kanter jim at d-film.com
Mon Jan 21 23:13:46 CST 2008

I transitioned to an SE-RG with little over 120 hours and a very new
certification, mostly in Cessnas (172, 177, 182) and a Grumman Tiger.

The hardest parts of the transition to a Velocity were:
1. Faster landing speeds
2. Learning NOT to flare in landing
3. Not doing forward slips to drop speed
4. Learning to think even further ahead of the plane
5. Not using the rudder pedals much
6. Getting used to the immediate stick response
7. Feel more bumps in the air

Now that I have over 300 hours I'd have more trouble adjusting back to
a more conventional aircraft. I've gotten terribly spoiled flying
quickly across the country without worrying too much about slipping or
skidding, uncoordinated turns, stalls, or setting flaps.

Take him up and give him a little stick time to see what it's like.