REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain Avionics issue update

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Wed Jan 9 21:33:00 CST 2008

Hey Alex,

As an owner of a G4 Dual Screen EFIS/ONE and a G4 EFIS/Lite Plus which I
have just about completed wiring, I thought I would go through the
"Bells & Whistles" you mentioned.

The BMA brochure shows many great things you can do with the G4, but as
we all know, the brochure and real life hardly ever meet.

The biggest restriction you will find with the digital (RS232) ports.
You only get two of them along with one analog port. So when you look at
all the wonderful things you could connect, you are limited to three things.

The Engine Pod, which comes standard with the EFIS/ONE, must use one of
the Digital Ports. So now you are down to one Digital Port, which would
be taken by the SL30 Nav/Com. If you put the SL30 on the Analog Port,
you would have to control the OBS on the SL30 face plate itself and not
be able to use the OBS on the EFIS's HSI. To me, the analog hookup of
the SL30 is a no go since it is so impractical.

If you want to connect XM NEXRAD it needs a Digital Port. So now you
have to drop either the Engine Pod or the SL30. My solution was to make
my system redundancy an EFIS/Lite Plus which let me move the Engine Pod
to the EFIS/Lite Plus and free up a port for the NEXRAD on the EFIS/ONE.

I just want to make sure that you understand the limitations in the G4
as you go through this.

And believe me, I know how you must feel, I keep getting pushed back on
their deliveries. I have been on the top of the list for months for
their 70amp Power Board and their XM solution. When you can reach
Shelia, she has not been in the office much lately, the standard answer
is "7 to 14 days you will have it." It gets very old month after month
after month, etc.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get the outcome which will
make you happy.

Richard

P.S. For anything wondering why BMA does not just add more ports, the
answer is, they would have to up the CPU horsepower to run their EFIS to
handle the additional computing power needed to handle the data from
additional ports.