REFLECTOR: Elevator counterweights, inboard

Jorge Bujanda bujanda at dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 9 14:15:23 CST 2008

Grigore,

I believe Alex refers to the bronze flange bearings that you have between the torque tubes
and the center elevator hinge.  I went through the same process.  I recommend that you use
the 3.5 inch screws provided and forget the labeling of the bags.  The manuals and bag
labeling do not always match.  Remember that the spacer and counterweights are part of the
control system (elevators) anyway.

I needed to add half a counterweight to balance my elevators and used two long (3.5 inch )
screws for it.  I used a long screw with the spacer in the distal (forward) hole, a long
screw in the middle hole and the bolt connecting the elevator assembly to the control
stick.  I believe the spacer would work better in the middle hole but it tops against the
elevator hinge and restricts down elevator deflection.  I  remember having to increase
somewhat the depth of the screw holes in the counterweights to be able to tighten the
three of them.  I used washers on both sides to avoid direct contact of the screw heads or
nuts with the lead counterweights and keep these from deforming the seats in the holes of
the weights.  I had the opportunity to see the factory's Velocity TC and have a picture of
it somewhere with the additional half inboard counterweight for balance too.  I will look
for it if you want, although it will not show the detail of the assembly.  If you do not
need additional inboard weight, you would only need to use a long screw and the spacer in
the front hole and the bolt in the aft hole.
Here is the link for the picture of my setup.  Don't be misled by the castle nut in my
picture, I just use them temporarily so I keep my lock nuts unused until final assembly.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/abujanda/images/CWEIGHTIN.jpg

I have not looked but would like better quality 3.5" to 4" screws.  Any leads from the
group on where to find some extra long 10-32 screws would be appreciated.  I have not
looked in real detail but seems like AS does not have them that long.

Hope this helps,
Jorge

Regards,
Jorge Bujanda
Velocity XL FG
Palmdale, CA
Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/

"Make your best case... not the best case."
"Spare the noise... convince through silence."
                                                                         JB

  _____