REFLECTOR: aileron trim

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Jan 7 10:02:13 CST 2008

I have one area that puzzles me. That is the aileron, cord and spring, trim
set up. It may be that my springs are old and have lost their strength but I
am not sure. When I engage the electric motor, on the ground, it runs but
nothing happens to the ailerons. I do not see any deflection up or down. I
am not sure if this is normal or weather something needs replacing. Any help
would be appreciated.

Lou Stedman

Lou;

I found that three turns around the capstan and higher tension on the
springs makes it work pretty well. Getting enough tension on the stock
springs caused some deformation with time.  I replaced the original springs
with ones that have a higher spring rate; something close to double that of
the stock springs.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the specs
for the springs (misplaced my notes and the plastic packaging). FWIW; they
are SS, about ½” o.d, 2 ½” long, and the wire diameter is maybe .030.  I
recall the spring rate being about 3 ½ lbs/in. I bought them at Home Depot,
but McMaster-Carr has a good selection, and give the specs for the various
sizes.

One of the reasons for replacing the springs was to overcome the drag of the
TruTrak AP servo motors.

Al