REFLECTOR: Altimeter v. Airspeed

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon Jan 7 08:12:52 CST 2008

Tom, I was just kidding about it being so tight...gawd I hate it when people take me serious--they shouldn't!  Actually, I have been able to get things pretty tight but not so that it would hold smoke or anything.  The elevator tube penetration through the fuse wall on the XLRG is a 1" tube that rotates around its center axis and do does move laterally, so sealing it was easy.

I took 1" shower rod protector (that thin, light walled plastic tube one can put over your shower rod to keep it from rusting, especially if you use rebar as the shower rod), cut of a 2" piece and slipped it over the elevator tube and then caulked around it between the protector and the fuse.  The elevator tube rotates inside the sheath with no noticeable drag and there is virtually zero in leakage in that area.  Sealing up a laterally traveling tube would be tricky-business, as you are already aware. A boot of some sort may work, but in all likelihood, some clever devil out there has solved the problem in an elegant manner.

Chuck Jensen