REFLECTOR: firewall protection

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 20:45:46 CST 2008

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did a little digging and found that RAF allows aluminum and fiberfrax in the long ez's. Apparently the fiberfrax provides all of the protection; the aluminum just protects the fiberfrax from getting beat up. From CP # 25:

FIREWALL - LONG-EZ AND VARIEZE
We now approve the use of fiberfrax (a space age ceramic material) as a
replacement for asbestos. Since fiberfrax is as good a fire barrier as
stainless steel, we approve substituting .016 2024 T-3 aluminum for the
stainless. This saves almost 2 lb at the firewall. Both Wicks and
Aircraft Spruce are now shipping kits with fiberfrax and aluminum.

Installation of fiberfrax is as follows: Complete airframe
construction through cowling installation, then remove everything from
the firewall bulkhead, and install fiberfrax with a bead of silicone
around the edge of the bulkhead. Do not wet out fiberfrax with epoxy.
Now install the .016 2024 T-3 aluminum which is required to protect the
fragile fiberfrax, from local damage, abrasion etc. See plans changes
section of this newsletter.