REFLECTOR: Altimeter v. Airspeed

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Jan 6 14:19:32 CST 2008

Steve,

My statement that I believed the altimeter to be accurate at altitude and cruise is a reliance on comparison of the altimeter reading and the CNX-480 GPS calculated altitude indication.  The two are within <50' differential most times though the differential is a bit over 100' on occasion, but this was true even when the static ports were being used, so I assumed the altimeter at cruise is quite close, if not dead one.  Am I missing something...as usual?

Ron, my static ports used to be under the door and worked well but the embedded static line or connections apparently developed a leak and the static ports were moved to the side of the fuselage about a foot below and behind the canard; not a good place.  In turbulence, the area is apparently prone to pressure waves or disturbances.  In turbulence, the altimeter would jump 50'-75' in a second or two, even though the plane itself had changed little in altitude.  Jim Younkin referred to it as a "noisy altimeter".  When I disconnected the static line from the external pitot ports, so the static system was communicating with the cabin pressure only, the altimeter calmed down and behaved consistent with the actual altitude changes of the plane itself.

What I'm trying to determine is 'should I bother repositioning the external static ports or simply let the static system reference the cabin pressure if it is, as it seems, representative of the ambient pressure.  One benefit of venting to the cabin is the port is unlikely to ice over!!  Therein lies my dilemma; to move the external static ports or leave them disconnected

Chuck Jensen