REFLECTOR: Velocity heater

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:07:50 CST 2008

Dave,
Me too.  This cabin heater is a Hangar 18 mod.  He gets the credit for this
in my bird.  I was the apprentice.  I think Rich's might be one of the first
ones Malcolm did.  I used a bilge fan from West Marine.  7 amps maybe...I
forget, but it fit the hose diameter, better than my first fan (square)
which was scrap from fancy electronics cooling setup. There are two oil
coolers in the engine oil system.  Main one is in the wing root with wing
scoops for entry and exit and no control of cooling air flow.  In the winter
I can route to the nose first.  In the summer I reverse directions by
swapping in/out oil ports at the engine.

On the pics:  We built a front face wind-block for what you could call the
upper forward wall of the cabin compartment and mounted the fan there.  Fan
outlet air is pushed thru the oil/air exchanger and down to the front seat
foot wells only.  Only cabin air is pushed across the oil cooler.  The upper
and lower plenums for the oil cooler were shaped from spare foam.

I filed a flat spot on to the full length of an AN6 bolt and riveted a small
pc of HAC sheeting for a diverter.  You can see the end of the bolt below
the two outlet lines.  You can't see it in these pics, but I also added a
defrost 2nd ducting and an an in-line induction fan that sucks air out of
the main plenum and up to a defrost defuser made from a floor vac
attachment.

I have no experience flying in cold air yet.  M Collier says that Rich
Guerra says it works great for him.  Good luck with it.
Terry