REFLECTOR: glide ratio

Kirk Aragon aragon_kirk at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:03:19 CST 2008

My incident was with gear down and full tanks (-30 mins flying) in an SE RG and with a heavy pilot only.  :-)

Kirk

From: ALVentures at cox.net
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:51:17 -0800
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: glide ratio

I had an unscheduled off-field landing in my 1996 SERG last year and have first
hand  experience at guessing the glide ratio :-). I lost the engine at
1700 AGL and glided at 100KIAS about 1.25 miles with a 20 knot headwind. My
constant speed prop was in climb pitch (it felt like a barn door hanging out in
the wind). Not sure if this helps.

Kirk Aragon

N360TV

Kirk, Robin;

That turns out to be a glide ratio just
over 5:1, after adjusting for the wind. I assume that is ‘gear down’.
Heavily loaded? XL, SE, or LW?

In practicing power off emergency
landings, I found ‘gear up’ and ‘gear down’ to be quite
different. With gear up, 90-95 KIAS, engine at idle (about 600 rpm on the
prop), I was seeing a sink rate of about 600 fpm. That’s a glide ratio of
15:1, which makes me think I better do that over again because it seems too
high.

SE RG loaded to about 1980 lbs.  I
didn’t check ‘gear down’; but estimated around 9:1.

More data needed,

Al