REFLECTOR: glide ratio

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Jan 4 11:51:17 CST 2008

I had an unscheduled off-field landing in my 1996 SERG last year and have
first hand  experience at guessing the glide ratio :-). I lost the engine at
1700 AGL and glided at 100KIAS about 1.25 miles with a 20 knot headwind. My
constant speed prop was in climb pitch (it felt like a barn door hanging out
in the wind). Not sure if this helps.

Kirk Aragon
N360TV

Kirk, Robin;

That turns out to be a glide ratio just over 5:1, after adjusting for the
wind. I assume that is 'gear down'.  Heavily loaded? XL, SE, or LW?

In practicing power off emergency landings, I found 'gear up' and 'gear
down' to be quite different. With gear up, 90-95 KIAS, engine at idle (about
600 rpm on the prop), I was seeing a sink rate of about 600 fpm. That's a
glide ratio of 15:1, which makes me think I better do that over again
because it seems too high.

SE RG loaded to about 1980 lbs.  I didn't check 'gear down'; but estimated
around 9:1.

More data needed,

Al