REFLECTOR: Transponder Antennas

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Tue Feb 26 10:14:46 CST 2008

Craig,

Attached are the cable spec requirements for the GTX-330.  Note that max. loss in the cable is not to exceed 1.5db.

Typical RG400 attenuation @ 1000Mhz is .169438 db/ft.  Garmin specifies 8.8 ft max = 1.491057.  (The transponder is actually 1090Mhz).

Typical RG58c/u attenuation @ 1000Mhz is .222748 db/ft.  One can divide this by 1.5db = 6.734 ft.

I would check your cable lengths - and make sure you are within length limitations for the cable that you used based upon attenuation at the transponder freq.

You may be getting signal blockage - the area the factory suggests placing the transponder antenna is a good location - but with a GTX-330 one will need to use a low loss coax.

John

Please check with the radio shop regarding the antenna.
I understand that that the Garmin 330 requires a special antenna; using a high quality transponder cable.
I don't think that a home-made or Archer type transponder is going to work with the 330.
SB