REFLECTOR: Electrical Connections?

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Feb 24 19:38:03 CST 2008

Kevin,

Both proper crimp connectors (AMP PIDG) and proper solder joints (60/40 or
63/37 electrical solder) have a place in a properly-fabricated electrical
system.  The important thing is that a gas-tight joint is made to the wire,
and the wire is supported beyond the point at which the wire is made solid
and stiff by the joining technique.

Almost all military, commercial, and production GA aircraft wiring is done
with crimped connectors because the process is very repeatable, rapid, and
reliable with the proper (ratcheting) crimp tools.

Solder joints take more practice to learn the correct technique, but if you
take the time to learn, it is a sound, reliable method.  You have to be
careful not to get too much heat and solder into the joint, lest it wick up
the wire under the insulation and make the wire brittle.  You also have to
be careful not to get too little heat and solder into the joint, lest you
have a weak joint.  For most aircraft builders who don't do wire soldering
day in and day out, crimping is probably a better choice.

On the other hand, the best crimp tools are expensive, while entirely
suitable soldering tools can be obtained fairly cheaply.  Adequate crimp
tools are available from SteinAir or B&C at fairly reasonable prices, but
the crimps they make are not beautiful like those from excellent tools.  I
am using some of these "adequate" tools, and am not worried about the joints
in my project.

The best write-up I've seen on this subject is Chapter 9 of "The
AeroElectric Connection" by Bob Nuckolls.  It's available from SteinAir or
from Bob's website:
https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECcatalog.html
If you don't already have this book, I would consider it the best investment
you could make in your electrical system.

Keith Hallsten