REFLECTOR: compass and magnets

gattenby at tulsaconnect.com gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
Sat Feb 23 20:10:50 CST 2008

Many years ago... when I was still working on my private
ticket.
Another student (I swear it wasn't me) left Riverside
airport in Tulsa
headed for Shawnee (about an hour west in a 152).
About 4 hours later he landed at Vance Air Force base in
Enid
about 150 miles north and west of Shawnee.
The air force wasn't very happy about him not contacting
their tower 1st.

The story was that he had placed a magneticaly mounted
"plastic jesus" on the dash
directly under the magnetic compass, and that he had flown
in circles until
he finaly found an airport!

I know the 1st part of the story to be true,
The 2nd part may or not be, but that's what my flight
instrutor told me.
(and he worked for Spartin - that owned the plane)

Take care with those magnets...

Noel