REFLECTOR: speaker in the cabin

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 11:20:45 CST 2008

Doug,

The only issue that I see with your installation is that it could be too close to your whiskey compass. I believe you might have trouble adjusting it when you do your compass swing adjustments. I owned a Cessna 150 in 1986 when I got my license. Just before I flew my solo long cross country, the radio speaker located above the pilot left door quit working. Not having time to order a new speaker before my scheduled flight, I installed a same size 6X9 car radio speaker at the same location and made my flight. What I found was that on the third leg flying due east, my compass was off 15 degrees. Until I figured out what was going on, I thought I had a strong cross wind. I did a compass swing and adjusted the compass a few days latter but never could get it as close as the original adjustment. The only difference between the speakers was the strength and size of the magnets. Your results may vary.

Andy Ellzey