REFLECTOR: Fuel sight guages..why?

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:03:15 CST 2008

Alex, that was very well said.  I'm going to toss in on this topic too.  Not
that I have much to offer except my own experience (and hopes) to have
better fuel quant and fuel burn equipment than where the state of affairs
are now.  Like you, for now I am still relying only on my basic math skills
and stick readings and fuel truck readings, and will always be doing that as
fuel mgt method.  So much for the beauty of high tech!

I have the Akinson sight gauges, and for some reason my LH one is blocked.
It worked fine for one day only when I was doing my mo-gas slosh of the
tanks during construction, which I drained back out immediately.  It was
some time later that I put in LL100 for the first time, and in the meanwhile
a little fleck of something decided to dry up and lodge over the opening to
the site gauge.  At present the gauge at about 3 gal level and no amount of
shucking and jiving and/or varied fuel loads wants to change that trapped
fuel in any.  The RH hand site gauge works just fine.  (And I agree, you
can't ever see the LH one anyway).  That said I am very glad I have them,
and glad I made a graduated dip stick too.

2nd issue:  When I refuel, I have the truck alternate with about 10 gal to L
tank than back to R tank and so forth until I have what I need.  I have only
done this a few times now, but the problem has been (with about a 60 of 80
gal requested fuel load) that I can wind up w a heavy wing (sometimes due to
ramp slope as a contributing issue) and when the heavy wing then sags
relative to the lighter wing, the fuel cannot transfer back so I have a 7 to
9 gallon wing to wing imbalance (based on stick readings) until I can get
taxiing or perhaps not until airborne.

3rd comment: I have Princeton fuel probes that I bought from GRT and they
seem to stick at last reading while stationary on the ramp.  They have been
a pain in the neck all along.  I have tried recalibrating several times now
and that's been no help to their intermittent false readings.  I also bought
the GRT fuel flow calculator (flow-scan) add-on and it needs more test
flight tweaks to the digital offset entries to read correctly.  It on my
"things to do" list somewhere after but the belly skin back on.  Work is in
progress.

Terry

  _____