REFLECTOR: Jeffco question

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Fri Feb 8 17:09:54 CST 2008

Grigore,

I would be surprised if Scott Swing said to mix flox in while 'painting' the strakes.  Cabo is ok to add, but not much - Jeffco does tend to be slightly thin and runny - so the cabo will help when painting vertical surfaces.  Well - it's more like it gets runny when it starts to cure - so the cabo helps...

Flox and cabo are used to make a frosting like mixture when sealing the top strake to the baffles and bulkheads.  Use Aeropoxy cabo and flox for the spar portion, and you can also do a small area of the leading edge of the strake with this if you don't use Jeffco for the entire area - use the Jeffco on the leading edge where there will be exposure to fuel.

You can also use milled fiber to replace the flox - if you want a smoother texture - I find it easier to work with - and although heavier - I think it is a fair trade off when used on the strakes.  Flox tends to be lumpy...

John