REFLECTOR: Investigation into Engine Failure

JOHN LUNNING jlunning at msn.com
Tue Feb 5 17:16:44 CST 2008

For those who are interested in the failure of the Crossflow Subaru engine on the 2nd flight of my VelocityXL. Initial investigation of the engine is showing an internal mechanical failure in the engine. I'm getting low compression on a couple cylinders and I'm get burnt oil out of the crankcase vent on one side. The engine did fire up again but was running very rough and I could hear mechanical tapping noises from inside. All external systems appear to be in good working order, fuel system and fuel pumps good with good pressure. The electrical and computer seem to be working correctly. I won't know too much more until I tear it down in a couple weeks.

As usual for Crossflow, they were very quick to respond when I told them the good news about my 1st flight, but have yet to be able to get a hold of them to discuss the failure of the 2nd flight. I doubt highly if I will get any factory support in diagnosing and repairing the problem. Strong possibility I may have to abandon the project if I can't get the engine to run reliably. I'll be starting on the leading edge damage this weekend and should only take a couple week to repair.

Take warning to all those who have or are considering Crossflow for your engine. For those who are stuck, I'll be happy provide any support or info you might need.

John Lunning
N44VL
San Antonio, TX