REFLECTOR: tools, tools, and tools again

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:58:03 CST 2008

Larry,

One also has to cut the fuselage differently for the DH engine, I think.
The intake needs to be underneath the airplane, from what I remember (making
the airplane also look sightly less attractive).  Don't know about others,
but I typically spend a LOT more time when I deviate from the manual,
basically because I want things to be perfect ... in a domain in which I do
not know how to define perfection.

I know this may sound crazy, but I'd like to finish my airplane by mid
August this year.  I started in August 2005, but have done almost nothing
for 2 years (busy with publishing for my tenure).  Now my tenure is over and
next year I'll be on sabbatical.  One could say that would be a good time to
build; however, I'd like it to be a good time to FLY.  My kit was a fast
built.  So far (last 6 months, really) I finished the fuselage (all corners
cut in the manual), the canard (all corners cut), and the landing gear
(fixed gear).  I hope I'll have the strakes finished by the end of February.

When should one start thinking about ordering the engine and the
propeller?  The recent messages on this list (for which I warmly thank you)
made me switch my vague opinion to a Lyc 200HP engine.  Would an MT
propeller work fine with it?  I'd like to keep things simple and safe for
this airplane, and I saw lots of complaints on propellers on this list.  I
wouldn't mind picking a fixed pitch propeller either (to be honest, in our
club we only have fixed pitch propellers, so I have close to no experience
with variable pitch ones).

Grigore