REFLECTOR: fuel system, flaring aluminum tubing

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 00:18:21 CST 2008

Hi Grigore-

That "rolo" tube flare tool is the correct one- it does not bend the tubes,
it has 2 rotating dies in there that you match up left and right to grip
whatever size tube you are flaring, then there is the clamping nut that you
tighten to grip the tube and then you tighten the large handle which drives
the flaring cone down into the tube end- the cone isn't really a cone, but a
complex shape that both forms and burnishes the tube face- you just need to
be practiced at how much tube you leave exposed in the clamp- it depends on
the diameter- but you will get the hang of it after a few tries, then just
remember to stop turning the tool when resistance is first felt, otherwise
you will over form and crush the tube end.  As far as the cutter type- I
recommend the third one on your list- it has rollers opposite of the cutting
wheel that help protect the tubing while it is being cut- never use the
second type- it will not cut properly at all- it is a soft tubing cutter,
like for automotive fuel line or garden hose or maybe plastic hose of some
sort. Make sure you lube up both the flare tool (oil on the tightening
screws and lithium grease on the forming head) and oil on the cutting wheel
and rollers of the cutter- you will be making perfect tubes before you know
it!  For bending, I have a tool from harbor freight- it bends 3 different
sizes of tubing- probably spruce has one for twice the price-  it has a flip
over handle that holds the tube, and it sort of wipes the tubing against a
round die which has 3 groves in it for the 3 tube sizes that it bends- works
fine and you can bend anything up to 180 degrees on there...you can not bend
the tubes by hand except for a huge radius bend to clear something- it will
just kink if you try to bend by hand- the bender from harbor freight tools
was less than $10.

Alex

  _____