REFLECTOR: fuel system, flaring aluminum tubing

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 09:49:54 CST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <gattenby at tulsaconnect.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> I haven't ran any of the aluminum line yet.
> I assume that I'll need to flare the end of the tubing /
> use a special nut.
>
> Anyone care to educate me as to the process and what tools
> that I'll need?

> Noel

With my flame suit securely zipped, I offer the following:

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=91

As the guy points out, for aluminum (or copper) there is no point in
worrying about whether the tool
is for 37 deg or 45 deg... when I tighten the flare nut, the flared tubing
end conformes.  I will add however that
I prefer to tighten a new flared end onto a steel (AN) fitting ( a drop of
oil here please) that acts as a mandrel
and smoothes the flare edges before installing it on the aluminum fitting.
The steel fittings are about $2 at a auto
parts house that fabs hydraulic hoses (like Napa).  The flaring tool is
about $15 at Harbor Freight or an auto parts store.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK