REFLECTOR: fuel system venting

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:54:33 CST 2008

Thank you for your answers on the finger strainer; I guess I'll install the
hardpoint and the finger strainer.  This is very frustrating, though,
because it means one more week of waiting until the strainers come; I
thought I could finish it this weekend.

I'd like to ask another question, this time about the venting line.

The attached picture shows where the 3/8'' hole for the vent line comes in
my SEFG (just drilled it).  Note that I built a little foam-supported flange
on the fuselage to support the top strake.  The flanges are not sanded yet.
To get my vent as high as possible, I had to drill through that foam.  I
inserted a 3/8'' aluminum line in the hole to make it more visible in the
picture.

The manual calls for a hardpoint for the venting line on the fuselage.
First, there are no such hardpoint parts in my kit.  Second, the manual says
nothing about what happens from that hardpoint inside the fuel tank.  Are we
supposed to just let an open hole there?  How can we make sure that no leaks
find there way around that hole?  In case we are supposed to seal that hole
with jeffco, it still appears to be difficult to make sure no pin holes are
left, not to mention that it can be difficult, or in my case impossible, to
paint the inside of the hole.

I find it strange that the manual does not require a hardpoint for the fuel
line, but it does requires a hardpoint for the venting line.  Since at this
moment my hole trough the fuselage and the flange-supported foam for the
venting line has about 2.5'' in legth, I'm thinking of doing the following:

1) enlarge the hole to 1/2''
2) bond the pipe with structural adhesive all the way throught the long hole
and 4-5 inches in the tank
3) even though I don't see why it would be necessary in this case, I can
also place a 1'' x 1' x 1/8'' hardpoint on the interior of the fuselage that
would bond the aluminum line even better.
4) use no AN blue connectors for the vent lines on the fuselage; in other
words, take the vent lines all the way from the manifold to fuel tanks,
bonding them properly on the fuselage.

Does anybody see any problem with my approach above?

I understand that the connector is useful on the fuel line in order to take
out and clean the finger strainer, but why would the connector be useful on
the venting line?

Thank you,
Grigore