REFLECTOR: task order for completing the strake?

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:39:11 CST 2008

What is the best order of tasks to complete the strake and the fuel tank?

I am done with installing the strake bulkeads (which are now flanged) and
the baffles (making sure I put a good paste of epoxy and cabosil underneath
the baffles, that acts as a sealant so that one does not need to jeffco
underneath the baffles -- suggestion from Scott Swing).  I also have the
fuel gauges (electronic and sight).

The following steps seem natural:

1) Install the fuel gauges and the fuel cap
2) seal everything in the fuel tank and the bottom of the top spar with
Jeffco
3) spread the goop on the bulkhead flanges and the leading edge of the top
or botom strake, as well as structural adhesive on the top spar
4) put the top strake smoothly and cleco, etc., it

What worries me with this plan are the following issues (in addition to have
never worked with Jeffco before ...)

1) If I install the gauges before I do the sealing, isn't there a chance
that I may spread some Jeffco on the metal part of the gauge?  I guess I
should take the gauge out when sealing the tank?  Sorry for this silly
question, but there is no reference to how to install the electronic gauges
in the manual, only how to install the original sight gauges that the kit
comes with ...  Therefore, I'm left with either guessing or asking, and I
prefer the latter.

2) Is it OK to first Jeffco the tank without installing any of the gauges,
then let it cure, and then install the gauges after it cured?  Same question
regarding the fuel cap on the top strake.  Can Jeffco be sanded, or does it
make any sense to do it?

I guess I have enough Jeffco, I ordered the 3 gallon kit.

Thank you,
Grigore