REFLECTOR: Gear alignment

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 09:40:42 CST 2008

Thought folks working on a FG would like to know this ( I would have).

I mentioned before that I aligned my gear when I installed it (the old  plans
did not say to wait).
Once I got the engine, wings, panel, etc in, the alignment changed.... by
quite a bit.

I was curious to see if the alignment would change further once fuel, pax,
baggage, etc were in and the plane gets heavier. So I loaded it up with 500 lbs
 of "stuff" and rechecked the alignment.

While the aircraft did squat more with the extra weight, the alignment
changed, but very little. consequently, I think the initial pre load of the  gear
legs, once you put on the engine and wings, makes the biggest change in the
alignment.

So now I feel comfortable going ahead and setting the alignment now. Of
course I'll do a double check before flight testing, but it should be pretty
close.

Hope to have most of the alignment, brakes, heat shields and such on this
weekend. Then perhaps I can put on the prop and make some real wind  noise!!

Kurt Winker
173 FGE
4.3L Aluminum V6 Chevy.