REFLECTOR: Sump fuel sensor gone bad

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Dec 31 09:26:41 CST 2008

Any steel or aluminum will corrode.  This problem came with the
introduction of
oxygenated octane boosters about 20 years ago.  These additives mix with
water and
separate from the gas forming a corrosive mixture.  The gas tank on my
motorcycle had a
spot at the lowest point where all the metal was gone and only the paint
was holding
things together until I bumped it one day.  I developed an additive to
stop corrosion
(see pic).  The corrosion shown occurred in just a few days.  I tested
my additive in
several engines, gas and diesel, with no problems.  I had planned to
sell it to
refineries or distributors because the underground storage tanks at gas
stations were
leaking from the corrosion.  Unfortunately I was too late as the
regulations had been
changed to require fiberglass tanks.  End of project.