REFLECTOR: Fwd: [c-a] Flaperons on a Canard Aircraft

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Dec 28 21:44:55 CST 2008

I had heard that Burt did not want to add flaps or a articulating
canard, because of that and other disagreements, Beech/Raytheon fired
him and the Big boy engineers added the articulating canard, flaps among
numerous other things. Some quite drastic and more fundamental than the
canard changes. All these great changes by Raytheon doubled the weight,
halved the range, quadrupled the complexity and ran costs through the
roof.  IN desperation They hired Burt back and he attempted to reshape
his dream into a successful competitor to the King Air, but it was to
little to late.

Some think the Raytheon engineers purposefully tried to make the
Starship to expensive so it would fail and the King Air would succeed.
Having worked in commercial aerospace for a few years I think they just
couldn't make the mental shift to such a "different" type off vehicle
and destroyed it through incompetence.

Scott