REFLECTOR: Toe brake question

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Sun Dec 14 13:58:26 CST 2008

I opted to leave the pivot out of my toe brakes so I have the option of
using the rudders as speed brakes.  After about 100 landings I only tried
using them that way one time with less than desirable results.  I have 3
springs on each side, one behind the rudder, one in the engine compartment
and one on the pedal mechanism itself.  It takes a decent amount of force to
deflect the rudders even on the ground.  When flying faster than about 120
kts, you can barely deploy the rudders because aerodynamic force on the
rudders.  Maybe I just need to practice doing it but deploying both of them
when at pattern speeds it was difficult to deploy them evenly.  I just yawed
all over the place.  I'm flying an XLRG with a speed brake on the bottom.  I
have been using it all the time on very short final or just as I touch down.
It really helps reduce the load on my weak Matco brakes.

Darrell