REFLECTOR: Toe brake question

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 09:53:17 CST 2008

Hello All,

I'm installing toe brakes.  I am inclined to leave the pivot mechanism off.
I like the idea of deploying both rudders simultaneously.  That being said,
I am not flying, so I may be putting more value on this than it deserves.

I am starting to see the pivot has a dual role.  It also works as a
standoff; holding the pedals away from the canard bulkhead.

Has anyone installed the toe brakes without the pivot arm?  Is the tension
of the rudder spring enough to hold the pedals out?  Does the weight of the
pedals (I have the cast aluminum pedals) cause the rudders to want to
deploy?  Without the pivot can you deploy the brakes without deploying the
rudder?

Any feedback on any point with the toe brakes would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy