REFLECTOR: Nosewheel Fairings

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 05:56:21 CST 2008

While working on the nosewheel fairings and waiting for a noselock
system, I will be flying without the nosewheel fairing. Where I live has
a concrete runway that always has some small pebbles on it. When I flew
off the first 10 hours without any fairings, I would get chips in the
prop on almost every flight. Tried with the speed brake deployed and it
made no difference. After putting on all the fairings the prop damage
virtually stopped. Looking for opinions as to if this is caused more by
the mains or the nosewheel? Also, has anyone tried using a regular
(ribbed) nosewheel tire as opposed to the slick (no tred tire) that we
use? I would think that although the slick helps with debris it would be
detrimental for shimmy. Thoughts?? thx Tom