REFLECTOR: Mishler Nosewheel Lock System

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Dec 7 11:10:55 CST 2008

Tom, the beauty of the nose lock system is you can back off the tension on the nose wheel.  It makes taxing around the ramp smooth and effortless.  One just has to remember to engage during takeoff role or in the air.  The downside is if, after loosening the nose wheel tension, on subsequent flights you forget to engage it, you are most certain to get the 60s famous 'shake it all about'.

After a single mental failure to engage and having to grit my teeth during max braking once it started to shimmy (attempting to reengage after start of shimmy is a fruitless exercise), I learned my lesson.  Fortunately, no harm done.  Now, it has become second nature to engage during the TO roll and to double-check when the gear is dropped on approach.

With the nose lock engaged, one can clear the main runway onto high speed taxiways with differential braking. Still, trying to turn fairly sharp 90s benefit from disengagement.

Chuck Jensen