REFLECTOR: Strake rebuild update

Christopher Barber CBarber at texasattorney.net
Sun Dec 7 00:27:32 CST 2008

As y'all likely remember I had to redo my strakes following finding my Jeffco fuel tank sealant had failed a few months ago. A few days ago I applied some micro on my hopefully now repaired strakes. I still have to smooth and pretty up the micro, but to get away from the fiberglass work for a bit I decided to add fuel to my new strake tanks and calibrate my newly installed Atkinson fuel gages.

I had about 25 gallons that I added one gallon at a time, 1/2 gallon to each side.  So I added fuel to each side in approximately equal amounts to allow everything to equalize better. I filled the sump tank first and it took just under five gallons (fixed gear SE). Nothing seemed to leak confirming my air pressure test with balloons a while back.

Ok, here is the good part. On a wild hair I turned power on to the plane to see if the rotary engine would turn over after sitting dormant for the last few months with only an occasional hand rotation of the prop. Not only did it turn over, it started. Wahoo. I shut it down right away as I was not in a position to play.....uh, ummm, work on it. But I was tickled it started almost immediately. After having to redo my strakes, this was a nice little experience for me.

I am off work tomorrow and I hope to get out to the hangar to clean it up after a lot of fiberglass work. Maybe I will "play" with the engine a bit too. <g>

All the best,

Chris
Houston

Cross posted on CanardZone.com & Reflector