REFLECTOR: restricting homebuilt aircraft

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 20:43:50 CDT 2008

Here is the article from the EAA website...
http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-08-27_vegas.asp

EAA Defends Homebuilts' Access To Airports

Poberezny refutes official's 'unjustified' appeal for federal policy change

August 21, 2008 - EAA President Tom Poberezny today offered perspectives
from EAA's amateur aircraft-building community to an airport official who,
in the aftermath of an accident involving an amateur-built aircraft,
publicly called for federal policies that could restrict the operation of
experimental-category aircraft at metropolitan airports. Poberezny also
ramped up EAA's ongoing outreach to Congressional delegates to provide
information and views on the safety and value of amateur-building activities
in aviation.

The accident occurred Friday, August 22 at North Las Vegas Airport. A
Velocity amateur-built aircraft struck a house shortly after takeoff. The
pilot and two people on the ground perished in the accident. In the
immediate aftermath, Las Vegas Aviation Director Randy Walker called on FAA
and Congress to allow metropolitan airports to bar experimental-category
operations at their facilities, including amateur-built aircraft operations.

In a letter sent to Walker today, Poberezny cited the safety record of
amateur-built aircraft operations at that airport, and pointed to a
nationwide trend of improved safety in amateur-built aviation. "To propose
that eliminating all Experimental aircraft from the airport would enhance
its safety record is unjustified," Poberezny wrote.

EAA has concurred with FAA policy for the past several years prohibiting
first flights of amateur-built aircraft at North Las Vegas Airport.
Amateur-built aircraft operations following initial testing, however, have
proven to be as safe as other operations at the airport.

"The responsible course is to support a thorough investigation of this
accident by the FAA and NTSB toward the objectives of determining the actual
cause and identifying any recommendations for enhancing safety," Poberezny's
letter read. "We are all dedicated to making flight operations as safe as
possible, but instant judgments and reactions only cloud the real issues and
hinder realistic solutions."

Meanwhile, EAA representatives are briefing members of Congress, including
those from the House Aviation Subcommittee who held a forum at EAA
AirVenture Oshkosh in late July. "The relationships established between EAA
members and Congressional representatives during AirVenture foster the
exchange of facts and information with these lawmakers about important
issues," Poberezny added in an interview today.

"We're imparting a greater understanding of the amateur building movement as
a continuing source of innovation - pioneering techniques and technology -
for the benefit of all of aviation. And when we present the facts, figures,
and trends, we show that this sector of aviation continues to uphold the
margins of safety expected in aviation," Poberezny said.

"The answer does not lie in restricting entire segments of aviation in
response to any single accident or incident. Rather, we must continually
learn from experience and continue to advance the safety of flight."

Here is the letter sent to Walker...

August 27, 2008

Aviation Director Randall Walker 500 S. Grand Central Parkway Las Vegas, NV
89155 (702) 455-3530

Dear Director Walker,

The Experimental Aircraft Association, with 165,000 members in more than 112
nations, including more than 500 in Clark County, was very disappointed to
hear of your statements calling for the banning of Experimental aircraft
from North Las Vegas Airport following the tragic events of Friday, August
22.

While any accident is a tragic occurrence, and our hearts go out to the
families of the people involved, it is important to note that the
involvement of an Experimental amateur-built aircraft in an accident at this
facility is a unique situation. The NTSB website lists eight previous fatal
aircraft accidents at North Las Vegas Airport over the past 25 years.
Friday's incident is the ninth fatal accident since 1982, but the only one
to involve a homebuilt aircraft. To propose that eliminating all
Experimental aircraft from the airport would enhance its safety record is
unjustified.

EAA is committed to safe aircraft operations in all categories, including
amateur-built aircraft flights and the safety of test flights over densely
populated areas. Over objections from some of our members in your area, EAA
concurred with the previously established FAA policy at North Las Vegas
Airport that prohibited first flights of Experimental amateur-built aircraft
from the facility. However, amateur-built aircraft operations following
completion of the proper test flights have proven to be as safe as other
operations at the airport, which the accident history at your airport
substantiates.

The responsible course is to support a thorough investigation of this
accident by the FAA and NTSB toward the objectives of determining the actual
cause and identifying any recommendations for enhancing safety. We are all
dedicated to making flight operations as safe as possible, but instant
judgments and reactions only cloud the real issues and hinder realistic
solutions.

Experimental amateur-built aircraft account for 10 percent of the entire
U.S. fleet of aircraft. Safety levels for that segment of recreational
aviation have improved dramatically over the past quarter-century, and
efforts to enhance this trend continue. Over the past 25 years, NTSB figures
show that the rates of accidents and fatal accidents by amateur-built
aircraft have dropped significantly. In the past 12 years alone, the
registered U.S. amateur-built fleet grew by some 13,000 aircraft (to more
than 30,000) with no annual increase in fatal accidents - a remarkable
record.

Incidentally, federal transportation statistics for 2006 (the most recent
year available) indicate that homebuilt aircraft operations are safer per
100 million miles than motorcycles. [Cars (NHTSA figures): 1.23 fatalities
per 100 million miles; Amateur-built aircraft: 30.4 fatalities per 100
million miles; Motorcycles: 38.93 fatalities per 100 million miles.] An
interesting side note is that automobiles are responsible for the deaths of
well over 4,500 otherwise uninvolved pedestrians each year, while only TWO
fatalities on the ground can be attributed to experimental amateur-built
aircraft accidents over the past 10 years.

EAA has worked very hard throughout its history to improve amateur-built
aircraft safety, with member programs such as Technical Counselors and
Flight Advisors offering direct education to aviation enthusiasts. In
addition, EAA's philosophy in working with the FAA and NTSB has allowed
potential problems to be addressed in a way that creates solutions instead
of punitive regulations.

As the FAA and NTSB proceed with an investigation of this accident, we
should lend our support and assistance, and focus on being prepared to
address the real causes that the investigation ultimately may reveal. EAA
stands ready to provide constructive assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Poberezny

EAA President

Cc: Bruce L. Woodbury Commissioner