REFLECTOR: wing attach bolts

Jeff Howell jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:43:38 CDT 2008

ken, I was wonderind why my inboard wing attach bolts are not removable. One of the thing I wanted to do with my plane is to replace all wing attach bolts. My plane is a standard rg completed in 1998 by andrew irwin. any ideas? Thanx Jeff> From: kenb at velocityaircraft.com> To: reflector at tvbf.org> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:42:45 -0400> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fiberglass stiffness> > Brian,> > This happened to us at the factory awhile ago. One of our normal suppliers> offered us some "7725 bi-directional cloth from a new manufacturer in Korea"> at a price that seemed too good to be true. We bought a small roll with the> understanding that if we didn't like it, we could return it. As it turns out> - the price *was* too good to be true. We couldn't work with this stuff to> save our lives. Too stiff - wouldn't saturate properly.> > When ordering fiberglass - you do order by weight or by weave style,> unfortunately it gets a little bit more complex when it comes to the> finishes that are applied to the fiberglass. Most glass fibers are treated> with starches during the looming process that allow them to take the rough> handling associated with weaving. It is a critical part of the manufacturing> process for aerospace grade fiberglass to be cleaned after the weaving to> remove the starches, and for a surfacing finish like Volan A to be applied.> There are different finishes for different applications and resins used.> Volan A, in my experience, seems to be the most common for compatibility> with epoxy based laminating systems.> > Occasionally you will see major fiberglass distributors offering> "loom-state" goods at heavily discounted prices. Loom-state is code for "no> surface finish - use at your own risk." I have seen some of these cloths> (especially carbon fiber) being resold (particularly on eBay) by less than> scrupulous sellers promising "aerospace quality" goods. These cloths are> fine if you want to make cosmetic trim pieces for a motor-cycle or something> like that - but my own advice is to *never* use fiberglass purchased on eBay> for structural applications. It is really important to know where your> fiberglass came from, and to know that there is a paperwork trail and> testing data that backs it up. Buy from a trusted source.> > When ordering glass online, I would also recommend against purchasing glass> which is described only by its weight and a "course" or "fine" weave> description. Ordering by the weave style "7725," "7715," or "CDB-200" is a> much more accurate way of ensuring that you're getting the right kind of> glass. The lay-up schedules that are called for in the Velocity construction> manual were calculated with a specific weave and weight of fiber-glass in> mind. > > I would recommend laminating over the hard-points for the trim actuator.> There's a fair amount of force that's applied during flight.> > Best,> > -Ken Baker> kenb at velocityaircraft.com> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On> Behalf Of Brian Michalk> Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:25 AM> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list> Subject: REFLECTOR: Fiberglass stiffness> > Yesterday we attempted to do some work with the canard trim hardpoints where> the actuator mounts.> > The fiberglass we bought from somewhere was coarse BID, but we could not> convince it to lay down over the corners. I compared it to some fine bid,> and it's much stiffer than the fine BID. The BID that came with the kit was> nice and floppy, so it would have made the corners just fine.> > How would I know what to order? As far as I know, one orders by the weave> (fine, coarse, etc.), and the cloth weight. I haven't seen anything for the> stiffness of the cloth which would directly affect workability.> > We gave up, and left the wood shim and AL hardpoint to cure as is. We used> flox for our adhesive. Do we really need to cover a wood shim with 2x bid> as called for in the manual? > > _______________________________________________> To change your email address, visit> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html> > > _______________________________________________> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html