REFLECTOR: Oil Door Latch

bdtopp at comcast.net bdtopp at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 11:08:37 CDT 2008

Andy,
   I too tried to find a better looking latch then the Hartwell latch.  Spent serveral hours on the internet with no luck.  I ended up using the Hartwell and it works just fine.  I did not have to change any thicknesses to get it to install flush.  Easy to install.
Bruce Topp

From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>

Andy,

The oil door latch was the source of a lot of angst for me, but it ended up being simple.  I wanted a Hartwell latch, but I couldn’t find one offered with what I thought were the correct trigger offset and panel offset.  I ordered a “surplus” latch (no guarantee as to dimensions) from Spruce and very easily adapted it to the thickness of the cowling.  (A little sanding makes it thinner, and a ply or two of layup makes it thicker.)  I spent less time doing the actual installation than I had spend on research trying to find the correct latch!  It was also quite a bit cheaper than if I had been able to find the “correct” latch.  Just do it!

Keith Hallsten, XLFG