REFLECTOR: Annual Inspection Question

David Staten david.staten at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 21:56:14 CDT 2008

In a homebuilt, the "annual" is called a "condition inspection". It must
be done. It can be done by ANY A&P, IA or the holder of THAT particular
aircraft's repairman's certificate.  There is only ONE repairman's
certificate issued for an experimental-amateur built airframe, and
typically is issued to the person who built the aircraft.  Im sure there
are rare exceptions and waivers on the repairman's cert, but thats the
standard rule.

In a homebuilt. ANYONE can conduct maintenance including what would be
considered major alterations if done to a certified airframe. But there
is no guarantee that any given A&P would accept them and sign off on
them (i.e. deem the airframe in safe condition at the annual condition
inspection), so if you do not hold a repairman's cert for that
particular hull, it would be well advised to make a relationship with an
A&P in the same manner you would for an owner assisted annual on a
factory built airframe.

Dave