REFLECTOR: Reflector Modernization

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Tue Apr 29 19:00:42 CDT 2008

Richard J. Gentil wrote:

> Just as an example, look at this link:
>
> Reflector Modernization
> <http://www.velocityxl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5357>
>
> It is this same conversation but in forum format. Do note that Brett is
> copying everything in the email, you would not have the old info in each
> post, just what the person is saying now. Another thing, how many times
> have you seen 4 or 5 people reply to the same email? So no you have the
> email replies in 4 or 5 different places you need to follow vs one
> thread in a forum. It would be a win for the community.

I'm not against forums as long as email is still an option. I have to
deal with forums frequently at work and I don't like them. Maybe I'm
old fashioned or maybe it's a client vs. server thing but I find them
far less convenient. Sure they are threaded, so are email clients.

With email I can delete the posts that I think are useless to the
thread, with a forum they are preserved forever.  As a result I think
forums end up with a worse signal to noise ratio than a personal email
archive. I only save a very small percentage of the tvbf email and
what I don't save was searchable on the tvbf site and now Brett's.

> Just because it has not been done by the community before, does not mean
> it is not a good idea. If we were to take the, "if it ain't broke"
> approach" we would still be on horseback and there would not be cars or
> airplanes.

and just because it's different doesn't mean its better. I think you
are assuming people have never seen or used forums before and are just
against change. I'm not convinced that is the case. From what I've
observed some people prefer email list, and some perfer forums and
smaller amount will do both. In my experience it leads to splitting of
the communities. I'm a member of the yahoo canard list and the canard
forum. I never use the forum as I find the list much less work.

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531