REFLECTOR: Reflector Modernization

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Tue Apr 29 14:53:49 CDT 2008

With all the talk about the great job Brett has done with VelocityXL I
have been wondering why the group has not switched from email to a
forum? (I have been meaning to mention this for ages now and this seems
to be the perfect opportunity to bring it up.)

I have been running phpBB (as an example) for just under 8 years now and
it is a great way for a community to keep in touch and it is a fantastic
way to build a helpful database for builders, not to mention tracking
the progress of any thread. What Brett did was take every reflector
email and load then into the forums. (I assume he is using the .crontab
to do this automatically.) We should do the opposite.

For people wanting to see emails, a compromise would be for the forms to
send out each post as an email to the people who select the option. The
only issue would be that someone wanting to reply would have to post in
the forums. (But there could still be ways around that.)

Some of the other benefits would be the option to post large pictures in
the forums and not be limited to the postage stamp size pics we have now.

 Richard