REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe

Chuck c.harbert1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 23 14:25:43 CDT 2008

Bob, have you considered an air-oil separator? The turbo's will create higher cylinder pressures (temps) and thus more blow-by through the rings. This will send more oil/water vapor out the breather and into the exhaust/atmosphere. Anytime you weld an exhaust pipe, your adding a stress riser which can crack and fail. If you do it, you might want to have it normalized (heat treated) afterwards.

I've had a separator for years and it works well. I'm also finishing my add-on turbo and plan to keep the same system. I get very little oil through the separator discharge tube and my oil analysis has been fine.

Chuck H

  Bob,

  A simpler though less aesthetic solution would be to clamp a short length of pipe to the leeward side of the current exhaust pipe and exiting the cowl through the same opening that you have currently. You could attach the oil breather tube to this pipe. If the exit end of the pipe is cut diagonally  as your exhaust pipe may be, I believe that will give the slight negative pressure that you are looking for. This solution also may mitigate the freezing over of the breather line.

  Kirk