REFLECTOR: Velocity, Inc acquisition by RRCC

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 20:19:33 CDT 2008

A Note to Fellow Velocity Aircraft Owners and Pilots Regarding the Recent Acquisition of the Company by Rocket Racing Composites Corporation -

Many have caught news of the recent buyout of Velocity by Rocket Racing Composite Corporation.  Questions abound about what this means for the Company and for Velocity aircraft builders, owners, and pilots.  I'd like to offer details about the buyout and how it affects us all.

Rocket Racing Composites Corporation (RRCC) is a newly formed technology subsidiary of Rocket Racing, Inc (RRI).  Yesterday it was announced at a major press conference that RRCC recently acquired Velocity, Inc.  The acquisition planning spanned several months; and was completed just a few days ago.

Velocity, Inc is strong and will continue as a manufacturer and parts provider focused on the Experimental-Amateur Built aircraft market.  Operations at Velocity will only get better - which means better support and better products for owners and builders!  One of our first goals is to develop a comprehensive parts manual for Velocity aircraft.  Imagine ordering a part by its part number instead of asking for "the big thing that sits underneath the small metal thing that's behind the crooked looking thing in the nose of the aircraft"!

Key members of Velocity management remain in place today and for years to come.  The core management group of Duane Swing, Scott Swing and I will continue managing the Company, although some of the titles have changed.  Duane is the CEO and will focus his time between the business of the Company and assisting RRI with rocket engine integration into Velocity airframes.  Scott Swing is Vice President of Product Development and will continue as the chief of the Velocity Service Center; and I will continue direct oversight of manufacturing and administration while assuming the duties of President.

New to the management team is Don Hauck (hawk), who is the Vice President of Sales.  I hope that everyone gets the opportunity to meet Don.  He is an exceptionally talented pilot, salesperson, conversationalist, and someone with whom we all form an instant friendship.  Don comes to Velocity as the leading sales person from Columbia.  He has flown several times in a Velocity XL and is "converted" to all that we hold sacred, that canard aircraft rule!  Don was instrumental in developing the cabin class, turbine aircraft design that was shown to the press on Monday.  Don dreams big.  Big dreams inspire!

Granger Whitelaw is the Chairman of Velocity, Inc and has a sincere interest and affection for the Velocity design.  Granger, who prefers to be addressed by his first name, is a visionary with plans to refine the Velocity model line into the spotlight of premier aircraft - more advanced than Columbia - more advanced than Cirrus - touching those who want and expect the best performing, safest, and most techanically advanced and comfortably equipped aircraft in General Aviation.  Look for many announcements concerning safety innovations originating from Velocity.

New models are planned over time.  For now, however, it is business as usual - placing greater emphasis on fulfilling sales - modernizing equipment and methods inside the factory - and continuing our unwavering support of Velocity customers, owners, builders, and pilots.

We are all truly looking forward to exciting times ahead!

Scott Baker