REFLECTOR: Engine RPM Troubleshooting / Loaner Prop?

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Apr 11 00:29:25 CDT 2008

Brett;

My sense of this is that the engine is not putting out its advertised power.
Possibly some issue with timing or mixture.

What is the rpm for the rated 306 hp?  I'd assume about 2900.  My 20B rotary
gives 265 hp at a prop speed of 2900.  It would spin a Catto 66" x 85" pitch
to around 2450 static at airport elevation of 1400'. I don't recall max rpm
in the air, but I think it was maybe 2600.

 The 68" x 82 pitch would absorb similar power; maybe a bit more, but I
think your engine should spin that to 2500 static if it was performing
properly.  Since one major change since the dyno run was the ignition, that
might be something to check. Late timing might also give low EGT and
incomplete burn (soot).

We have since reduced pitch to 80" with a smaller blade root, and I now get
over 2500 static and bit over 2900 WOT in the air.  The lower pitch gave
some improvement in takeoff and climb performance, and maybe a bit more top
end.

Al