REFLECTOR: Control system friction/slop

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 19:39:48 CDT 2008

John
   I don't know if I can answer the "question" but I will give it  a try. I
built a SUV with Yokes and I purchased another velocity SE that has the  Center
Stick. Both planes I fly on a regular basis and enjoy both tremendously.  It
is a little difficult to change plane several times a day as the  throttle and
controls change hands with aircraft, but easy to overcome. When you  pull the
throttle back and the plane makes a immediate climb, your in the other  plane
:)
    They both serve different purposes. The Yokes  gave me the opportunity to
build the SUV with one door and giving the plane the  longitudinal strength
to have a cut down center keel. This gave the room  for big Butts, (Not that I
have one Yet nor my Wife,  But available nonetheless) especially not taking up
the room with the extra  door. It did take some time to find cables that had
limited drag and play  (that was not easy) but obtainable! The down side is
that it takes panel space,  a lot of critical space in today's EFIS world.
    The Center Stick version has the EFIS (Blue  Mountain) fully functional,
and happy with it. It takes less effort to  fly this plane. A wrist action
instead of a arm action. Not that big of a  deal, but different. A little less
room in the small body airplane,  especially with the second door, but still
plenty. I changed the cables in this  plane also to meet MY "no slop and no drag"
criteria.
    The "Hot Rod version" is a little bit different and I  have no experience
with that system other then viewing it from afar. It  looks very functional
and should take even more play out for those who want to  go over the normal
VNE on the Velocity.
   If I had to choose a plane to fly it would be difficult, but I  would say
the one with the Center Stick. It just feels more Normal even  though I
trained on yokes (in my previous life). It all depends on what YOU  want. Both
system can be made with minimum drag and slop, and Need to be!
   I am now building a XL with the Center Stick as a  plane to keep forever,
(Unless someone makes me a offer) I can't believe my Wife  puts up with my
antics ??
   Just my 2 cents, which is now worth about .4 cents in  today's economy.
          Ken

In a message dated 4/1/2008 2:25:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,