REFLECTOR: Exhaust system design

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 1 07:33:00 CDT 2008

Our aircraft have special considerations with exhaust.  In large part
because the prop is behind the engine.

No one wants to get the exhaust close enough to the prop to damage it.

As Keith wrote, the parts need to be supported.  Unfortunately, there have
been exhaust systems that failed in Velocities.  In one case, the aircraft
was lost.  The Pilot and Passenger survived unharmed.  When the pipe broke,
it is believed it exited the cowl and went through the prop.  I shattered
two blades.  The exhaust stump poured hot exhaust into the cowl.  They are
not sure what happened in the cowl after that as the plane burned.

-Andy