REFLECTOR: Elevator gap

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Sep 24 13:03:50 CDT 2007

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 40, Issue 54

I built a '97 SE RG with elevator cuffs and then cut them off at the

recommendation of the factory. It did improve the pitch buck oscillation

without them. I did not change the gap, nor did the factory recommend that I

do so. It worked fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mark Riley

I had a nice chat with Scott Swing on the subject this morning. Basically he
said (without the cuff) to set the .050 gap with the elevator in neutral
position, have the elevator positioned so the centerline of the front
curvature of the elevator is directly under the canard trailing edge; and
then take what you get for gap when the elevator trailing edge is full down.
The gap will be much larger than the 0.2 given in the manual; possibly about
0.5" or more.  He will see about having the manual changed appropriately.

He also said it is important that the elevator surface be slightly lower
than the canard surface; IOW, when you measure the .050 gap with the stir
stick, the stick should be close to horizontal so the elevator surface is
close to .050 below the canard surface. You do not want the elevator surface
above the canard surface.

So basically I just need to remove the cuff.  He noted that he had seen
WingCo elevators where the glass plies were put over the cuff, so if you
grind off the cuff you need to add a ply of glass around the tube onto the
skins.  I think my cuffs are just micro filler so I can just sand them off.

Al