REFLECTOR: Fw: email archive

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Tue Sep 18 21:00:50 CDT 2007

Ron Brown wrote:
> WORKS!!!  Thanks Steve - ya done good!

So I was using the search capability today and I got bit by some
things I expected might happen. This is word of warning about that.

So first I searched for "oil cooler deltahawk" and it came up with

http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail/2006-July/013964.html

Which doesn't really have anything to do with what I was looking for.
The problem here is that htdig indexes all the words on the page and
the "Next Message" link fooled it.

The next thing I looked for was "Crossflow" sorted by date and the
first message is:

http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail/2007-July/018788.html

which does have something about Crossflow buried in it but not exactly
a good hit. This is caused by replying to a digest without trimming
the digest. This causes the htdig equivalent of a google bomb.

So this behavior is annoying enough (to me anyway) that I'll probably
spend some time working on a fix. Unfortunately this will mean
actually having to write some code not just configuring the software
so it will take a while. In the meantime be patient if the quality of
the search doesn't match your expectations.

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531